We’re still hungover from episode 200, this week: We give you are thoughts and responses to our RMS interview, are we truly being negative in the freedom dimension? Tune in to find out!
Plus we drool over new games coming to Linux, and ask the big question: Can Crowd Funding scale to support open source?
THEN – Matt stops by with a super easy howto for video conferencing under Linux!
All this week on, The Linux Action Show!
GoDaddy.com Use our codes LINUX to save 10% at checkout, or LINUX20 to save 20%
February $7.99 .co and .com code: cofeb7 and free Private Registration with a domain purchase or transfer code: march9
Support the Show:
Random Distro Of The Day
Linux Action Show Subreddit
- How Linux is changing lives in Zambia
- Anonymous Hacker Group Ubuntu IS A FAAAAKE
- The Anon OS is fake it is …
- Spark becomes Vivaldi
- Kubuntu Active starts producing daily builds aimed at Vivaldi tablet
- Easily Create Your Own Distribution Using Ubuntu Builder
- ‘Depth Hunter’ – New Game With Amazing 3D Graphics Coming to Linux
- [The Blender Video Editor Not by Belnder Devs Kickstarter
- Wasteland 2 by inXile entertainment — Kickstarter
- Wine 1.5.1 – Released!
Some of the Great Feedback:
- Stallman is right on the money here guys. We must have freesoftware or really there’s not much point of linux.
- The solution is selling copies of free software.
- I think you’re crazy…there’s no way I would have sat there
- Stallman was interesting and consistent, however, I feel that the interviews didn’t ask the right questions to tease out whether Richard is right.
- Many more in the reddit thread: Feedback: Your Thoughts After the RMS Interview?
- And in the Jupiter Colony: View topic – Richard Stallman | GNU/LAS | s20e10
Jitsi: Works great with Ubuntu on our Wild Dog PC from System76.com, plus it will allow you a viable alternative to have video chat conversations with those using OS X and Windows. All three platforms support screen sharing. Linux version only shows the incoming video, previewing your own video while in a call, isn’t working. Video preview does however, work great on the other platforms. The really neat part is with a HD webcam, you can actually video chat in full HD quality video.
We found that setting up jabber accounts, using Gmail credincials, provided success with Jitsi. GoogleTalk isn’t going to give you video chat, you need to take that Google login and use it in the jabber account area instead.
All of this good stuff aside, it should be noted that this software hasn’t been updated in sometime. So it could break sometime down the road. Still, for those who don’t distro hop much, this is a great alternative to Skype. Install via http://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/Download
What’s Bryan Doin?
- 2299 : THE GAME
- Save Bryan’s House From Apple
- “Build A Real App” Tutorial Series for Non-Programmers