Michael and Chris discuss what to do when things go wrong. When should you abandon ship? When should you try to land your project in the Hudson?
Plus: Java\’s had a bad week, but are we overlooking it\’s positive aspects?
- Charles writes in to give his two cents on the advantages learning C and shares some great training resources.
+ http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC6B940F08B9773B9F – Buckland\’s COMP1917
+ http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC0C5D85DBA20E685C – COMP1927
+ http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC0C5D85DBA20E685C – COMP2911
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtXvUoPx4Qs – intro to the course
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPj5Rg1y2w – Google Tech Talk
- A lot of passionate feedback regarding Niklas FOSS / OSS conundrum.
- Christopher writes in to tell me that not all listeners are devs and that he likes the business side. So HA Youtube!
- To C or not to C — a lot of your care… .a lot.
- Simon writes in to share some great game development stuff:
- Keith writes to ask ‘where is the web development (PHP in particular) and where is the Windows love?’
- Sven writes in an awesome webpage with a billboard style message! He asks if we think self taught programmers are better at thinking outside of the box than traditional CS grads?
- David needs some advice on a distributed African system
- Toislav writes in to tell me that Flash is not dead yet! In fact, Adobe AIR seems to have a thriving community — especially in the games space.
- Code Snippet for MHazzel
This Week’s Dev World Hoopla
Burned By Some Hot Java
- ZOMG Java is going to destroy our machines! or so say the blogs…
- What do the Java security issues mean for web developers?
- Desktop developers?
- So why would I still go with Java today?
- Right once one everywhere (sort of)
- Development ease
- Inexpensive help
- Project Looking Glass – YouTube
A Little Bird Bit Me!
- What happens when you build your great product on someone else’s platform and they say ‘thanks but no thanks’
- App.net the great gray hope?
- Whose app is it anyway?
- Your app is live — then it’s not! What do you do?
- You’ve been gathering metrics right?
- Do you have some way to contact your users?
- Data issue? You have a manual way to fix that, right?