Wayland and Mir are now under heavy development, but the community seems more divided than ever. We’ll explain why the developers want to replace X11 so badly, the big challenges facing Mir, and the long term division that desktop Linux is facing.
Plus our quick review of Fedora 19, the solar powered Linux laptop generating so much buzz…
AND SO MUCH MORE!
All this week on, The Linux Action Show!
Use our code linux249 to score .COM for just $2.49!
Visit las.ting.com to save $25 off your device or service credits.
Support the Show:
— Show Notes: —
Mir: First Hands On
Brought to you by: System76
Hands on experiences:
- Intel driver works best. Nouveau will work, but it failed on me fast.
- ATI oss driver was a no go. Gave me crazy results.
- Installing a proprietary driver automatically reverts you to standard X via Xmir’s pre-flight checks.
- Double mouse cursor – A result of the fact that all Mir is doing is providing a single full screen texture within which an x11 session is doing all the work. Which means Mir is doing nothing beyond the frame, for all intents and purposes.
More on Mir:
– Picks –
Desktop App Pick:
Search our past picks:
Git yours hands all over our STUFF:
- Jupiter Broadcasting Affiliate Extensions
- Callisto-app – Google Project Hosting
- Quick Update to the Jupiter Broadcasting Android App
— NEWS —
— /etc: Fedora 19 Review —
Brought to you by: Untangle
– Feedback: –
Send a Bitmessage to LAS:
— Chris’ Stash —
Hang in our chat room:
— What’s Matt Doin? —
- Fedora vs. Ubuntu
- Writing about Linux, sometimes, even asking tough questions
- Hell froze over, Matt’s on Facebook