360: Swift Kick In The UI
3 June 2019
We react to Apple's big news at WWDC, check in with Mike's explorations of Elixir, and talk some TypeScript.
- Thelio Fan Noise Hack - Mike’s Blog — I’ve had a System 76 Thelio for a little over four months now and a consistent issue that I’ve been experiencing is persistent fan noise even when the machine is idle.
- Advent of Code 2015
- Elixir — Elixir leverages the Erlang VM, known for running low-latency, distributed and fault-tolerant systems, while also being successfully used in web development and the embedded software domain.
- Mike on Twitter — Someone tell @wespayne that I hate him ;) He introduced me to @elixirlang and it’s like fast #Ruby. I think I might be hooked. Totally failed to get anything done though lol
- Elixir vs. Ruby and Phoenix vs. Rails: Detailed Comparison and Use Cases — If you are facing the Elixir vs. Ruby/Phoenix vs. Rails dilemma, the best way to decide is to cater to the needs of your project. In fact, it is even possible to use both technologies in one project by choosing which of them works best for each individual feature. For example, you can implement chats with Elixir Phoenix, and the rest of the code can be written in Ruby on Rails.
- Why TypeScript · TypeScript Deep Dive — Types have proven ability to enhance code quality and understandability. However, types have a way of being unnecessarily ceremonious. TypeScript is very particular about keeping the barrier to entry as low as possible.
- Basic Types · TypeScript Handbook
- TypeScript Playground
- microsoft/TypeScript-New-Handbook — Incubation repository for the new TypeScript handbook.
- Introduction - fp-ts — fp-ts provides developers with popular patterns and reliable abstractions from typed functional languages in TypeScript.
- Purify — Functional programming library for TypeScript
- piotrwitek/utility-types — Collection of utility types, complementing TypeScript built-in mapped types and aliases (think “lodash” for static types).