183: Linux Action News
4 April 2021
The first CentOS clone is out, but it's the second part of their announcement that might be the most important. Plus our reaction to SCO reigniting their decades-long fight with IBM and Red Hat, and the big news in GTK-land you might have missed.
- AlmaLinux Now Available For Download As RHEL/CentOS Alternative — As scheduled, AlmaLinux’s initial release is available for download today from AlmaLinux.org. This initial AlmaLinux release is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 sources.
- AlmaLinux OS on GitHub
- AlmaLinux Repo
- AlmaLinux Wiki
- Shop Almalinux
- CloudLinux Launches AlmaLinux, CentOS Linux clone
- How to migrate CentOS to AlmaLinux and avoid downtime in your data center
- AlmaLinux OS Homepage
- IBM, Red Hat face copyright, antitrust lawsuit from SCO Group successor Xinuos — Xinuos’ lawsuit contends that IBM stole UnixWare and OpenServer code and incorporated it into the heart of its AIX, z/OS mainframe, and its midrange server operating systems.
- SCO vs. IBM looks like it’s over for good
- SCO slapped in latest round of eternal ‘Who owns UNIX?’ lawsuit
- Judge spanks SCO in ancient ownership of Unix lawsuit
- SCO vs. IBM battle resumes over ownership of Unix
- SCO keeps dying, and dying, and dying
- SCO trading suspended in US
- Xinuos sues IBM
- SCO Linux FUD returns from the dead
- Xinuos file suit against Red Hat and IBM
- Canonical releases Ubuntu on Windows Preview with early builds, new tools for the brave — The setup is more user-friendly thanks to the Subiquity installer, and a utility called ubuntuwsl.
- Announcing Ubuntu on Windows Community Preview
- Super Sneaky Ubuntu Link
- NVIDIA Proposes Mesa Patches To Support Alternative GBM Back-Ends — It looks like NVIDIA is finally taking the GBM route for supporting Wayland compositors with their proprietary driver…
- Mesa GitLab WIP Merge request — GBM alternate backend discovery and loading
- Introducing Libadwaita — This new libadwaita library intends to extend that concept by being the missing code part of Adwaita. and will be implemented as a direct GTK 4 continuation and replacement of libhandy.
- OBS Studio Now Ready With Wayland Capture Support — Well-known GNOME developer Georges Stavracas has been working on allowing good and native Wayland support for OBS Studio with the last of that work being merged upstream today.
- OBS Studio on Wayland – Georges Stavracas
- Arch Linux Packages - archinstall 2.1.3-1
- Arch Linux installer GitHub