227: Linux Action News
10 February 2022
A last-minute kernel patch for the Steam Deck, why Intel is supporting RISC-V development, and we go hands-on with Plasma 5.24.
- $66 billion deal for Nvidia to purchase Arm collapses — SoftBank’s $66 billion sale of UK-based chip business Arm to Nvidia collapsed on Monday after regulators in the US, UK, and EU raised serious concerns about its effects on competition in the global semiconductor industry, according to three people with direct knowledge of the transaction.
- Analysis: Relief and challenges for chipmakers as Nvidia-Arm megadeal collapses
- What Nvidia Can’t Buy, It Can Still Get Through An Arm Partnership — While a $1.25 billion hit to the Nvidia books after the company terminated its $40 billion deal to acquire chip designer Arm Holdings from Japanese conglomerate SoftBank Group this week is a big deal
- The Collapse of the Nvidia Deal Leaves Arm Exposed
- Steam Deck Platform Driver Posted For The Linux Kernel — This platform driver is for supporting the Steam Deck Specific “VLV0100” device presented by the embedded controller (EC) firmware. This is ultimately used for functionality like CPU/device fan control, access to DDIC registers, battery temperature measurements, display-related settings, and USB Type-C event notifications.
- Engineer hired back in 2018 to work on kernel projects
- Open-Source Firmware Foundation Established For Advancing Open Firmware — The Open-Source Firmware Foundation (OSFF) is getting up and running with hopes of expanding open-source firmware usage throughout the industry.
- Open Source Firmware Foundation on Twitter
- FreeCAD Also Gets a Foundtation
- Intel Joins RISC-V International, Will Help With RISC-V Open-Source Software — Intel is joining the RISC-V International organization as a Premier member.
- Intel Promotes RISC-V, Pledges $1B to Help Chip Startups | Tom’s Hardware
- RAID-Z Expansion Feature for ZFS In the Home Stretch — While all capabilities of this feature have been implemented and all tests so far have been passed, there are still a few loose ends to tie up.
- RAIDZ Expansion Feature Pull Request by ahrens
- ZFS fans, rejoice—RAIDz expansion will be a thing very soon
- Plasma 5.24 - Released — Plasma 5.24 improves in looks, ease of use and consistency.
- KDE Plasma 5.24 Released With Wayland Support In Increasingly Great Shape — KDE Plasma 5.24 is out as the newest version of this popular open-source desktop environment that will also be their new Long-Term Support (LTS) release.
- Try a New Podcast App