454: No Quest for the Wicked
23 February 2022
Mike has some huge news and busted wifi, Chris spent a weekend in the Metaverse, and why Microsoft has us both upset.
- Michael Dominick on Twitter — Mission accomplished! Now to get her running Linux!
- Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Small Mini Heater — Compact personal space heater design that is small enough for tables or desktops
- Warm Desk Pad — Warm desk pad made with high quality PVC Mateirals and rubber back,edge stitched, waterproof, pad size: 31*13 inch.
- Their Bionic Eyes Are Now Obsolete and Unsupported — These three patients, and more than 350 other blind people around the world with Second Sight’s implants in their eyes, find themselves in a world in which the technology that transformed their lives is just another obsolete gadget.
- Chris Lattner left Swift core team — To answer your question, the root cause of my decision to leave the core team is a toxic environment in the meetings themselves. The catalyst was a specific meeting last summer: after being insulted and yelled at over WebEx (not for the first time, and not just one core team member), I decided to take a break. I was able to get leadership to eventually discuss the situation with me last Fall, but after avoiding dealing with it, they made excuses, and made it clear they weren’t planning to do anything about it. As such, I decided not to return. They reassure me they “want to make sure things are better for others in the future based on what we talked about” though.
- Core team to form language workgroup — The core team is currently looking at restructuring the project’s leadership to provide more pathways for community members to become actively involved in the project’s stewardship.
- You’ll need a Microsoft account to set up future versions of Windows 11 Pro | Ars Technica — Like the Home edition of Windows 11, the Pro version will now require an Internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup.
- Why Coinbase admitted Apple calls the shots — As Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong wrote on February 4th, “For any app to be listed in the Apple and Google App Stores, it needs to play by the rules of those two companies.” That means that whatever Apple and Google decide as their content policy, Coinbase will follow, Armstrong says. “Our approach is to be free speech supporters, but not free speech martyrs.”
- Immersed on Oculus Quest 2 | Oculus — VR Offices! Free app to get your Mac/PC/Linux screens in VR (including additional virtual screens with no extra hardware) in stunning virtual worlds!