490: Final Boss Battle
2 November 2022
We slip into full boss mode after digging into some long-term tech trends impacting developers.
- You’re Gonna Have To Pay To Use Fancy Colors In Photoshop Now — Due to a change in how Adobe licenses Pantone colors, old PSD files could start being filled in black
- Apple flexes its control over the App Store — In its changes this week, Apple updated its App Store rules to give itself a cut of some advertising revenue in social media apps and purchase revenue from Web3 apps
- Telegram CEO Accuses Apple of Destroying Dreams and Crushing Entrepreneurs — Durov said Apple is not “happy with content creators monetizing their efforts without paying a 30% tax” and that Telegram has no choice but to disable paid posts and channels on its iOS app. “This is just another example of how a trillion-dollar monopoly abuses its market dominance at the expense of millions of users who are trying to monetize their own content,” Durov continued.
- MacRumors.com on Twitter — Story updated with the following statement from an Apple spokesperson: “We have paused ads related to gambling and a few other categories on App Store product pages.”
- alex 🤷🏽♂️😬👍🏾 on Twitter — AppStore discovery has become so shit even in 2016 that Indy devs were finding it hard to get organic growth. What did Apple do? Slowly but surely offer more and more advertising instead of better alternatives @dominucco @ChrisLAS
- How Gamification Affects Software Developers — They urge caution: gamification can steer the behavior of software developers in unexpected and unwanted directions.
- Casey Newton on Twitter — Here it is: Twitter engineers were told today to print out their last 30 to 60 days of code, so they could show it to Elon Musk himself.
- MAX PAIN 👀☣️ on Twitter — Elon actually brought in Tesla engineers to review Twitter code Wolf of Wall Street style and not only fired CEO Parag, CFO, and the Indian lawyer lady but the entirety of the C-suite executives on day 1
- The Elon Effect: Jim Bianco biancoresearch.eth on Twitter — Dogecoin just doubled in less than 24 hours.
- Young Workers Face New Reality: Tech Jobs Tumble As Meta, Twitter And Apple Cut Employees And Perks — Ives, a tech analyst at Wedbush, shares troubling words: “Winter is coming to the tech world.” How can workers prepare for this new season?
- Facebook parent Meta Q3 2022 earnings — The company’s Reality Labs division, which houses its VR headsets, lost over $9 billion in the first three quarters.
- Jim Cramer on Twitter — Meta bought back $6.5 billion as free cash flow dropped off the face of the earth. I did not see this coming. I trusted this management and that was ill-advised
- Send a Boost with a New Podcast App — Upgrade to a Podcasting 2.0 app.