498: The Birds and the Elephants
28 December 2022
Our take on why several tech companies just teamed up to take on Google Maps, and then we react to the global analyst who says we won't have any new iPhones until 2028. We don't talk about Elon; if we did, it would be chaptered. But we definitely did not.
- Peter Zeihan — Geopolitical strategist, speaker, author.
- The Power Hungry Podcast: Peter Zeihan - YouTube
- new shell by Drakulix · Pull Request #46 · pop-os/cosmic-comp · GitHub — Finally compiles again and displays a window, after ripping out half of it and putting some reworked parts back in.
- Glow image rendering support; move image/svg code to iced_graphics by ids1024 · Pull Request #1485 · iced-rs/iced · GitHub
- feat: Additional actions for window controls by mmstick · Pull Request #1471 · iced-rs/iced · GitHub
- Big Tech Companies Join Linux in Effort to Kill Google Maps — The companies include Meta, Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, and TomTom, which together could facilitate a new wave of geolocation apps.
- Overture Maps Foundation — Overture aims to incorporate map data from multiple sources including Overture Members, civic organizations, and open data sources.
- Announcement: Direct Alby wallet top up with MoonPay — Converting your fiat to bitcoin for lightning-fast payments has never been so easy, thanks to our new collaboration with MoonPay.
- Coder Radio on Podcastindex.org — You can Boost right from the Podcast Index listing for the show, just install the Alby extension and top it off with some cheap sats!
- What has Plex done lately that you didn’t like? : selfhosted — I’m curious as to what Plex has done (or hasn’t done) of late that has been frustrating for you? In the interests of fairness if you think Plex are doing a great job, tell us too!
- UnifiedPush — UnifiedPush is a new alternative that allows you to get push notifications without being tied to a single company.