512: The Hysterics Chronicles
5 April 2023
Our thoughts on the recent AI hysteria and why it betrays the massive egos involved, our issues with the RESTRICT Act, and we do some Monday morning code review.
- Jupiter Broadcasting Meetup — Two meetups coming up in April.
- ChatGPT banned in Italy — The country’s data protection authorities said AI service would be blocked and investigated over privacy concerns.
- Elon Musk joins call for pause in creation of giant AI ‘digital minds’ — “Powerful AI systems should be developed only once we are confident that their effects will be positive and their risks will be manageable.”
- The Only Way to Deal With the Threat From AI? Shut It Down — We are not ready. We are not on track to be significantly readier in the foreseeable future. If we go ahead on this everyone will die, including children who did not choose this and did not do anything wrong.
- the-algorithm — The Twitter Recommendation Algorithm is a set of services and jobs that are responsible for constructing and serving the Home Timeline.
- Twitter posts the code it claims determines which tweets people see, and why — Posted algorithm code includes “is_democrat,” “is_republican,” and “is_elon.”
- [“Patriot Act on steroids”: Left and right unite against “fear-mongering” TikTok ban](https://www.salon.com/2023/04/02/patriot-act-on-steroids-left-and-right-unite-against-fear-mongering-tiktok-ban/ ““Patriot Act on steroids”: Left and right unite against “fear-mongering” TikTok ban”) — Digital rights advocacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation issued a sober rebuke of the legislation Thursday, saying the measure fails to protect private user information.
- Text - S.686 - RESTRICT Act — To authorize the Secretary of Commerce to review and prohibit certain transactions between persons in the United States and foreign adversaries, and for other purposes.
- The RESTRICT Act Would Restrict a Lot More Than TikTok — The RESTRICT Act has been garnering bipartisan momentum in the Senate, as well as backing from the Biden administration
- The U.S. Restrict Act Explained
- Stop the RESTRICT Act and Pass Real Privacy Legislation
- Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Alby brings Boosts to the web.
- Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Send a Boost into the show via the web. First, top-up Alby, then head over to our entry on the Podcast Index.