538: You Never Forget Your First
4 October 2023
How does your first major programming language/technology still shape your work and career? Then grab some popcorn and let's watch the next epic tech titan battle unfold.
- ⚡ Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Create an Alby Account to get a lightning wallet for payments wherever you go.
- 🎉 Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Boost from the Web. Once you have Alby topped off, you can Boost from our page on the Podcast Index.
- Barista Express — Create third wave specialty coffee at home from bean to espresso in less than a minute.
- Bones Coffee Company - Say Goodbye to Boring.
- How To Brew Espresso Like a Pro — Learn how to brew espresso at home, using an automatic or a manual espresso maker. Tips on pulling the perfect espresso shot and a troubleshooting guide.
- AeroPress Coffee Maker Official Store
- American Economic Liberties Project on X — Apple and Google have a “fantastic oligopolistic arrangement” says Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella on day 14 of the #USvGoogle trial.
- Apple Deal Responsible for Google’s Dominance in Search, Says Microsoft CEO
- Microsoft’s Nadella Takes Stand at Google Antitrust Trial - Bloomberg
- Microsoft has spent $100 billion on Bing — Satya Nadella is one of several executives the US Department of Justice will have testify in its antitrust trial about Google search.
- An hour-long history lesson about Microsoft’s many failures in mobile. — Nadella is mostly just responding “that sounds right” and “correct.” He’s not arguing that Bing is better than Google — he’s arguing that it’s impossible to be better than Google. And Schmidtlein says no, it’s just that Bing sucks. And that’s your fault, not ours.
- Amazon Used Secret ‘Project Nessie’ Algorithm to Raise Prices — The strategy, as described in redacted parts of FTC lawsuit, is part of agency’s case that Amazon has outsize influence on consumer prices
- Apple enforces new check on apps in China as Beijing tightens oversight — Apple began last Friday requiring app developers to submit the “internet content provider (ICP) filing” when they publish new apps on its App Store, it said on its website for developers.
- After USB-C win, EU tells Tim Cook that Apple must ‘open up its gates to competitors’ — In new comments today, EU industry chief Thierry Breton reiterated that Apple must “open up its gates to competitors.”
- CRTC takes major step forward to modernize Canada’s broadcasting framework — We are developing a modern broadcasting framework that can adapt to changing circumstances.