153: Linux Action News
6 September 2020
The first Thinkpads loaded with Fedora go live, but there is a lot more to the story.
- Lenovo begins rollout of Fedora Linux on their laptops, Ubuntu systems due soon — The first model appearing with Fedora as an option is the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8. Not only has it rolled out with Fedora, it’s right there on the store and you can’t miss it as it shows up first, as it’s also the cheapest option for this model available right now.
- HP Z series on Ubuntu — HP announced the launch of its Z series of laptops and workstations certified with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the latest additions to their popular professional workstation line.
- PinePhone Manjaro Community Edition — I am thrilled to announce that the next Community Edition (CE) of the PinePhone will feature Manjaro.
- Pinephone will ship with Manjaro next
- LineageOS 17.1 adds support for the Google Pixel 2, Pixel 3a, Pixel 4 — Over the last couple of months, the team has added support for devices like the ASUS ROG Phone II, Google Pixel 3 series, Samsung Galaxy A7 2016, Xiaomi Mi A1, Samsung Galaxy J7 2015, OnePlus One, Sony Xperia XZ2, and many more.
- Mozilla rolls out Firefox 80 for Android — Along with the changes mentioned above, Firefox 80 for Android also includes a bunch of security fixes.
- Update on extension support in the new Firefox for Android
- Lessons from the GNOME Patent Troll Incident — The key element Rothschild like trolls require is the presumption of validity of a granted patent.
- Announcing the General Availability of Bottlerocket, an open source Linux distribution built to run containers — Bottlerocket is a free and open-source Linux-based operating system meant for hosting containers.
- Bottlerocket on Github
- AWS unleashes a new homegrown Linux
- AWS introduces Bottlerocket: A Rust language-oriented Linux for containers — There’s a new security-oriented Linux for containers in town from Amazon and its name is Bottlerocket. Instead of being built almost entirely in C, it includes many components written in Rust.