248: Linux Action News
7 July 2022
The new movement to leave GitHub, an Ubuntu bug biting 22.04 users, the hardware platform Fedora might start taking seriously, and a major desktop dev departs Red Hat.
- Give Up GitHub: The Time Has Come! — Today, we take a stronger stance. We are ending all our own uses of GitHub, and announcing a long-term plan to assist FOSS projects to migrate away from GitHub.
- Roma, one of the first RISC-V laptops, may ship in September — As for the specs, the Roma laptop will, we’re told, come with a quad-core RISC-V processor, an Arm security enclave core, a GPU/NPU accelerator for video and AI workloads, up to 16GB of LPDDR4 or LPDDR4X memory, and up to 256GB of storage.
- System76 Announces New Alder Lake Laptop With Coreboot Firmware — System76 has announced a new Lemur Pro laptop model that is now offering 12th Gen “Alder Lake” Intel processors while continuing to feature Coreboot firmware.
- Fedora May Finally Provide Official Support For The Raspberry Pi 4 — The hope with this change proposal is to provide more “official” support for Fedora Linux on the Raspberry Pi 4B / 400 / CM4 hardware.
- Changes/RaspberryPi4 - Fedora Project Wiki
- Fedora 37 Proposing To Allow Unrestricted Access To Flathub
- Fedora 37 Looks To Better Manage Its 175MB+ Of Linux Firmware Blobs
- Fedora 37 Gets A Batch Of New Features Approved
- New Ubuntu MATE Release — Improved compositor and video playback performance, zswap (lz4) by default & optimised image sizes
- Systemd Creator Lands At Microsoft — The prominent open-source developer responsible for several prominent projects joined Microsoft and is continuing his focus on systemd development.
- Lennart Poettering - systemd + PulseAudio Creator - Departed Red Hat
- Linode Now Supports Kali Linux
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Has A Change On The Way For Systemd-OOMD Being Kill-Happy With Apps
- ManagedOOMSwap docs
- Discussion: systemd-oomd issues on desktop
- 249.11-0ubuntu3.4 : systemd package : Ubuntu