286: Linux Action News
30 March 2023
What we're liking about GNOME 44, how Microsoft's Linux distro is trying to attract more users, and we bust a CentOS myth.
- GNOME 44 Released — GNOME 44 is code-named “Kuala Lumpur”, in recognition of the work done by the organizers of GNOME.Asia 2022.
- GNOME 44 Released With Many Desktop Enhancements
- GNOME 44 Getting New Background Apps UI
- Ubuntu Touch OTA-1 Focal Release — This is the first OTA for Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with major features, this is an Opt-In and not mandatory update.
- First Ubuntu Touch OTA Release Based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Is Out Now
- Ubuntu Cinnamon Flavor Status Announcement — Ubuntu Cinnamon started as a small idea in my head, in 2019. I was ELEVEN.
- ItzSwirlz (Joshua Peisach)
- Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix Becomes Official Ubuntu Flavor
- Microsoft’s CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution Continues Cultivating More Packages — With today’s CBL-Mariner 2.0.20230321 they have continued cultivating more packages for the distribution.
- CBL-Mariner GitHub
- We’re no longer sunsetting the Free Team plan — After listening to feedback and consulting our community, it’s clear that we made the wrong decision in sunsetting our Free Team plan.
- Google discloses CentOS Linux kernel vulnerabilities following failure to issue timely fixes — Google Project Zero’s security researcher Jann Horn learned that kernel fixes made to stable trees are not backported to many enterprise versions of Linux.
- Google Security Researchers Accuse CentOS of Failing to Backport Kernel Fixes
- Project Zero Mailing List Thread on CentOS Kernel Patches
- Berlin Meet Up #2 - Nextcloud Hackfest & Dev Community Introduction, Fri, Mar 31, 2023 — NOTE: the time detailed on Meetup.com is strictly set to PST, so don’t be confused by the interface!