296: Linux Action News
8 June 2023
Ubuntu gets serious about the immutable desktop, red flags from Red Hat, and the little tricks Apple used to patch Wine.
- Ubuntu Core as an immutable Linux Desktop base — In this blog post we discuss the architecture of immutable operating systems, their benefits and drawbacks, and the role of Ubuntu Core in the immutable Linux landscape.
- Red Hat To Stop Shipping LibreOffice In Future RHEL, Limiting Fedora LO Involvement — However, the “tradeoff” to focusing on that is they will be pivoting away from less desktop application work and “cease shipping LibreOffice as part of RHEL starting in a future RHE version. This also limits our ability to maintain it in future versions of Fedora.”
- LibreOffice to be cut out of RHEL installs
- Asahi: Big Updates — Get your updater ready!
- OpenGL 3.1 on Asahi Linux
- Wine comes to macOS: Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit powered by CrossOver source code — We are ecstatic that Apple chose to use CrossOver’s source code as their emulation solution for the Game Porting Toolkit.
- Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit is Wine
- Apple Home Brew Repo — Using the game-porting-toolkit formula requires downloading the Game Porting Toolkit from developer.apple.com.
- Game Porting Toolkit — Game Porting Toolkit is Apple’s new translation layer which combines Wine with Apple’s own D3DMetal which supports DirectX 9-12. Games that use anti-cheat or aggressive DRM generally don’t work. Games that require AVX CPUs also do not work e.g. Last of Us.