420: Real People Are Out There
24 August 2021
We share some stories from our Denver meetup, the strange reason we found ourselves at a golf course, and some news you should know.
- Brent Gervais on Twitter
- Stickers | Jupiter Broadcasting Garage Sale
- JB Telegram
- Razer bug lets you become a Windows 10 admin by plugging in a mouse
- jonhat on Twitter — Need local admin and have physical access? Plug a Razer mouse (or the dongle), windows Update will download and execute RazerInstaller as SYSTEM, then abuse elevated Explorer to open Powershell with Shift+Right click.
- Join us for dinner 4:30 local time at TheViewHouse in Colorado Springs
- Btrfs Set To Land Support For IDMAPPED Mounts In Linux 5.15 — Back when IDMAPPED mounts functionality was added to the Linux kernel, the initial implementation came for FAT and EXT4. XFS support has also been in the works while now for Linux 5.15 the Btrfs support appears ready.
- IDMAPPED Mounts Aim For Linux 5.12 - Many New Use-Cases From Containers To Systemd-Homed — Idmapped mounts make it possible to easily share files between multiple users or multiple machines especially in complex scenarios. For example, idmapped mounts will be used in the implementation of portable home directories in systemd-homed.service(8) where they allow users to move their home directory to an external storage device and use it on multiple computers where they are assigned different uids and gids.
- FOSDEM 2021 - Idmapped Mounts
- brauner/mount-idmapped — Helper utility to use IDMAPPED mounts until upstream support exists.
- Ubuntu 21.10 Systemd To Finally Ship With Cgroup v2 By Default — Ubuntu has been sticking to the legacy cgroup v1 hierarchy because their prized Snap support hasn’t supported Cgroup v2. Upstream Snap still doesn’t have the support yet but there are patches pending that are still expected to be merged this cycle.
- Fedora 35 To Support Restarting User Services On Package Upgrades — What this ultimately means is that user services like PipeWire can seamlessly restart when upgrading them via Fedora RPM updates rather than needing to manually do so or restarting the system for the upgrade to take effect.
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Own a bit of Jupiter Broadcasting history, while making way for the new!
By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.