474: Linux's Malware Inevitability
4 September 2022
Can Linux do better? Apple is scrambling to build always-on malware protection into the next macOS as its market share grows. A precautionary tale for Linux users.
- Canonical Accepts Ubuntu Unity as Official Ubuntu Flavor Starting with Ubuntu 22.10 — The Ubuntu Unity 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu) release is expected to see the light of day as an official Ubuntu flavor on October 20th, 2022.
- [vote] Re: Ubuntu Unity as an official flavor
- Ubuntu Unity
- Office Hours 11 — We’re pushing our new website to production live on the show today. We have no idea how things will turn out - but we’re taking you along for the ride either way!
- JB Meetups
- JB Matrix West Coast Crew
- Baller Boost Jingles — Send us your feedback via GitHub
- Mac vs. PC Ad
- macOS malware development surged by over 1,000% in 2020
- Increased Enterprise Use of iOS, Mac Means More Malware
- Report Finds Surge in Malware Aimed at MacOS - Security Boulevard
- macOS now scans for malware whenever it gets a chance — In the last six months macOS malware protection has changed more than it did over the previous seven years.
- Desktop Market Share
- Is any virus protection software needed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
- Linux devices ‘increasingly’ under attack from hackers, warn security researchers
- Brunch with Brunch
- Harmonoid — Plays and manages your music library. Looks beautiful & juicy.
- LINUX Unplugged 409 — Launch Your Memories Into the Future.
- Google Photos is so 2020
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
Linode Cloud Hosting
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.