512: The Sound of Rust
28 May 2023
We take a "Rust-only tools" challenge for a week and admit what worked, and what sucked. Plus, a surprise guest.
- Why I left Rust
- LinuxFest Northwest 2023
- LinuxFest Northwest 2023 Call for Speakers
- GrapheneOS on Twitter — GrapheneOS will be undergoing restructuring of the organization and development team. Daniel Micay has stepped down as lead developer and will be stepping down as a non-profit director. Features and security patches will continue to be delivered to users as rapidly as before.
- Daniel Micay on Twitter — It appears the wording above was unclear. I’m stepping down as a GrapheneOS Foundation director and as lead developer. I won’t have any leadership role in the GrapheneOS project. It will take time/work to transfer my responsibilities to others, especially non-development roles.
- Google account deleted after 2 hours of Aurora
- Adopting Bitcoin 2023
- LUP on in the top 10 charts TWICE.
- Bitcoin Dad Pod
- Polaris — Polaris is a music streaming application, designed to let you enjoy your music collection from any computer or mobile device.
- Polaris Demo
- docker-polaris: Small docker of Polaris based on Alpine Linux
- Polaris on Google Play
- Polaris Android on F-Droid
- Polarios on App Store
- Lapce — Lapce is written in pure Rust with a UI in Druid (which is also written in Rust). It is designed with Rope Science from the Xi-Editor which makes for lightning-fast computation, and leverages OpenGL for rendering.
- Lapce on Flathub
- Lapce packaged in Nix
- Lapce Plugins
- xi-editor: A modern editor with a backend written in Rust.
- awesome-alternatives-in-rust: A curated list of replacements for existing software written in Rust
- awesome-rust: A curated list of Rust code and resources.
- BitFocus Companion — Bitfocus Companion enables the reasonably priced Elgato Streamdeck to be a professional shotbox surface for a huge amount of different presentation switchers, video playback software and broadcast equipment.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps
- LINUX Unplugged on the Podcastindex.org
- Pick: Please Run That — A Python socket app for letting a friend execute a command on your system without using a ssh server all, with a simple GUI It has active development and works OOTB.
- Pick: turtle — Turtle is a gtk4 + libadwaita frontend for pygit2 with nautilus plugin support. The project is currently in a very early development stage.
- Chris Interviewed on Mere Mortals — In Conversation #90, Chris and I discuss: what it’s been like to have 25+ podcasts, the current nosedive in advertising, how value for value is creating a richer experience for podcasters, his mindset in analyzing technological ideas, the coming pain from the messed up financial system, why Bitcoin/AI won’t be as impactful as the internet and traveling across the US in an RV.
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.