84: Hidden NAS
18 November 2022
We're chatting about workstation builds for a home NAS with Joe Ressington this week. Chris chews on the news of the Evernote buyout and his challenges with Zigbee.
- Late Night Linux — Late Night Linux is a podcast that takes a look at what’s happening with Linux and the wider tech industry.
- 2.5 Admins — 2.5 Admins is a podcast featuring two sysadmins called Allan Jude and Jim Salter, and a producer/editor who can just about configure a Samba share called Joe Ressington.
- Choose your Zigbee channel wisely — Before optimizing your channels, it’s best to reduce the amount of traffic on the 2.4 GHz band. There are a few different ways of doing that. But it all boils down to removing as many devices from the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band as possible. As Zigbee devices can only use the 2.4 GHz band, there isn’t much you can do with them except minimizing the number of commands sent using Zigbee Groups.
- Z Wave vs Zigbee — While Z Wave has a better track record of compatibility between products and never interferes with your Wi-Fi network, Zigbee is faster,has a greater range of signal, boasts on open protocol standard, and owns a significantly larger marketshare of the smart home product space.
- Aeotec MultiSensor 7, 6-in-1 Zwave Sensors — Contains Monitor Motion, Temperature, Light, Humidity, UV, and Vibration, Z-Wave Plus, Gen7, S2, SmartStart Enabled, Compatible with Zwave
- Evernote’s Next Move: Joining the Bending Spoons Suite of Apps — In the deal signed between Bending Spoons and Evernote, Bending Spoons agrees to take ownership of Evernote in a transaction expected to complete early in 2023.
- Jupiter Broadcasting Matrix Info — Jupiter Broadcasting’s Rooms are organized into groups called “spaces”.
- UptimeRobot: Free Website Monitoring Service — The world’s leading uptime monitoring service.
- The Helpful Idiot — Idiots don’t have time for cable management.
- Send a Boost into the Show — Upgrade to a Podcast 2.0 compatible app, and send a Boost into the show.