247: Linux Action News
30 June 2022
Fedora gets serious about its server editions, our thoughts on Valve's increased Steam Deck production, and the surprising results of booting Linux on the Apple M2 SoC.
- Fedora 37 Gets A Batch Of New Features Approved — Fedora 37 is working its way toward release before the end of October.
- The Performance Cost To A Proposed Fedora 37 CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS Change
- Fedora CoreOS Hopes To Become An Official Edition With Fedora 37
- Fedora 37 Looks To Ship With Stratis Storage 3.1 Support
- Fedora 37 Proposing To Allow Unrestricted Access To Flathub
- Fedora Magazine: Accessibility in Fedora Workstation — I am very happy to announce that Red Hat has just hired Lukas Tyrychtr, who is a blind software engineer, to lead our effort in making sure Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora Workstation has excellent accessibility support!
- Firefox 102 Available With Transform Streams, Geoclue On Linux — Firefox 102.0 isn’t the most exciting end-user update but does have some developer additions like Transform Streams support and support for Geoclue with Firefox Linux builds for geolocation.
- Thunderbird 102 Released With Big Improvements To This Leading Open-Source Mail Client — Thunderbird 102 introduces a new address book implementation, a new spaces toolbar, a new import/export wizard, a redesigned message header, and other “quality of life” updates. There are also some extras with Thunderbird 102 like adding Matrix chat support.
- Matrix.org Security release: Synapse 1.61.1 — Today we’re exceptionally releasing Synapse 1.61.1, which comes as a security release. Server administrators are encouraged to update as soon as possible.
- Synapse Release v1.61.1
- Synapse Advisory — URL previews of unusual or maliciously-crafted pages can crash Synapse media repositories or Synapse monoliths.
- Valve More Than Doubles Steam Deck Production, Q3 Reservations Starting Soon — Valve just tweeted out some great news for SteamDeck fans, saying it has more than doubled the number of Steam Decks being produced every week. The company also says it just sent out the last batch of Q2 reservation emails and is prepared to start kicking off Q3 reservations on June 30th 2022.
- Check Your Steam Deck Order Status
- Vim 9.0 — The main goal of Vim9 script is to drastically improve performance. This is accomplished by compiling commands into instructions that can be efficiently executed. An increase in execution speed of 10 to 100 times can be expected.
- Vim 9.0 Released With New Vim9 Script For 10~100x Execution Speed
- Linode Security Digest — June 20-26, 2022
- Apple M2 Enablement For Linux Begins With Good Progress — Hector Martin on Monday began his Linux M2 bring-up effort, including with a livestream of this reverse engineering / debugging / kernel hacking effort. Hector confirmed NVMe, USB, and SMC functionality are working for the M2 on the first day of the effort.
- M2 Asahi Linux bring-up YouTube Stream