316: Self-Hosted Secrets
27 August 2019
Safely host your own password database using totally open source software. We cover BitWarden, our top choice to solve this problem.
- low-memory-monitor: new project announcement — low-memory-monitor, as its name implies, monitors the amount of free physical memory on the system and will shoot off signals to interested user-space applications, usually session managers, or sandboxing helpers, when that memory runs low, making it possible for applications to shrink their memory footprints before it’s too late either to recover a usable system, or avoid taking a performance hit.
- Fedora Switching To The BFQ I/O Scheduler For Better Responsiveness & Throughput - Phoronix — Following Chromebooks switching to BFQ and other distributions weighing this I/O scheduler for better responsiveness while maintaining good throughput capabilities, beginning with Fedora 31 there will be BFQ used as well.
- Pinebook Preorders — Public #Pinebook Pro pre-orders start in the morning PDT (California, USA Time) August 25. The NEXT pre-order window will be mid-September; so don’t worry if you won’t get a pre-order now, it won’t be a long wait for the next pre-order window.
- LINUX Unplugged - Blog - Summer Sprint 2019 — Working remotely certainly has its advantages and I love the ability to sit in the comfort of my own home doing work I’m passionate about. That being said, I think it’s equally important to spend time together in meat space. There really is nothing like looking across the table at your co-workers while you try to flush out new ideas, make important decisions, or just share a meal. Not to mention, Washington is beautiful this time of the year…
- Subscribe to Self Hosted — Discover new software and hardware to get the best out of your network, control smart devices, and secure your data on cloud services. Self Hosted is a chat show between Chris and Alex two long-time “self hosters” who share their lessons and take you on the journey of their new ones.
- Self Hosted Coming Soon — Self Hosted Teaser
- OGGCAMP 19 - OggCamp 19 — We’re at The Manchester Conference Centre in the Pendulum Hotel near Picadilly Station the weekend of October 19th and 20th 2019.
- Jupiter Extras — New ideas, great interviews, events, and other content you will love. We bring you the Extras.
- Texas Cyber Summit — October 10th-12th, 2019 at the Grand Hyatt in San Antonion
- Kyle Spearrin’s GitHub
- Behind the scenes with the Bitwarden password manager | Opensource.com — I’ve used password management tools for years. I became frustrated by the complexity and barrier to entry many of the existing solutions offered. There was also a lack of quality, open source solutions available. I thought things could be done better and that there was great value in doing so.
- Install Bitwarden for Linux using the Snap Store | Snapcraft — Bitwarden is the easiest and safest way to store all of your logins and passwords while conveniently keeping them synced between all of your devices.
- bitwarden/cli: The command line vault (Windows, macOS, & Linux). — The Bitwarden CLI is a powerful, full-featured command-line interface (CLI) tool to access and manage a Bitwarden vault. The CLI is written with TypeScript and Node.js and can be run on Windows, macOS, and Linux distributions.
- bitwarden/mobile: The mobile app vault (iOS and Android). — The Bitwarden mobile application is written in C# with Xamarin Android, Xamarin iOS, and Xamarin Forms.
- Bitwarden on F-Droid
- Bitwarden Password Manager on the App Store
- Bitwarden Password Manager - Apps on Google Play
- Bitwarden—Linux Apps on Flathub
- Import your data from LastPass | Bitwarden Help & Support
- Why should I trust Bitwarden with my passwords? | Bitwarden Help & Support
- What are organizations? | Bitwarden Help & Support
- dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs: Unofficial Bitwarden compatible server written in Rust — This is a Bitwarden server API implementation written in Rust compatible with upstream Bitwarden clients*, perfect for self-hosted deployment where running the official resource-heavy service might not be ideal.
- Starting a Container · dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs Wiki
- Manage your passwords with Bitwarden and Podman - Fedora Magazine — You can also sync your passwords across devices if you have a cloud-based password manager like LastPass, 1Password, or Dashlane. Unfortunately, none of these products are open source. Luckily there are open source alternatives available.
- Installing and deploying | Bitwarden Help & Support
- Bitwarden Completes Third-party Security Audit - Bitwarden Blog
- Wayland Buddies | LINUX Unplugged 315 : linuxunplugged — A lot of the “Wayland is really smooth” talk really means “Mutter is really smooth”, since it’s gnome-shell’s compositor Mutter that has to implement everything which Xorg used to do.
- aguinet/usbtop: usbtop is a top-like utility that shows an estimated instantaneous bandwidth on USB buses and devices.