394: Tempted But the Truth is Discovered
23 February 2021
After all these years, what's made us stick with Linux?
- Nvidia is nerfing its new RTX 3060 for Ethereum cryptocurrency mining — Nvidia is purposefully making its new RTX 3060 graphics cards less efficient to mine Ethereum cryptocurrency. New drivers that will accompany the release of the GPUs later this month will reduce the hash rate of Ethereum mining by around 50 percent, using software detection for cryptocurrency mining.
- Linux has made it to Mars — “It’s kind of an open-source victory, because we’re flying an open-source operating system and an open-source flight software framework and flying commercial parts that you can buy off the shelf if you wanted to do this yourself someday.”
- Linux Action News 177 — We share some exclusive details about the Linux-powered gear that just landed on Mars, and the open-source frameworks that make it possible.
- [Video] NASA’s Perseverance Rover Sends New Video and Images of the Red Planet
- Introducing Flatpak Builds - Open Build Service — OBS now supports building flatpak bundles, so you can build your own!
- Minecraft Bedrock Launcher on Flathub — The project runs the native libraries from the Android version directly on your computer.
- GNOME Shell + Mutter 40 Beta Released With Wayland Improvements, Overview Redesign — GNOME 40 beta is coming together with the GNOME Shell and Mutter components having seen new releases on Monday.
- GNOME Shell 40 and multi-monitor — Multi-monitor has come up a fair bit in conversations about the GNOME Shell UX updates that are coming in GNOME 40. There’s been some uncertainty and anxiety in this area, so we wanted to provide more detail on what the multi-monitor experience will exactly be like, so people know what to expect.
- PipeWire 0.3.22 Released With Many Improvements — PipeWire 0.3.22 was released this week with a whole lot of work in trying to see that Fedora 34 this spring can ship with it in use by default.
- PipeWire 0.3.22 Release
- Jupiter Broadcasting Telegram Channel
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- Feedback: Giving up on daily driver? — Do you sometimes wonder if it’s time to give up on a Linux desktop as your daily driver?
- KXStudio — KXStudio is a collection of applications and plugins for audio production.
- Ubuntu Studio — A free and open operating system for creative people.
- ycollet/linuxmao audio packages Copr
- Drew’s fedora Proaudio Copr
- yabridge — A modern and transparent way to use Windows VST2 and VST3 plugins on Linux.
- ocenaudio — Easy, fast and powerful audio editor.
- Audacity — Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
- Avid Pro Tools
- SonoBus — SonoBus is an easy to use application for streaming high-quality, low-latency peer-to-peer audio between devices over the internet or a local network.
- PipeWire — It provides a low-latency, graph based processing engine on top of audio and video devices that can be used to support the use cases currently handled by both pulseaudio and JACK.
- ardour — the digital audio workstation
- Airwindows Plugins
- Calf Studio Gear - GNU/Linux Audio Plug-Ins
- Linux Studio Plugins Project
- ReaPlugs for REAPER
- SWS / S&M Extension for REAPER
- Ultrasound — High-end podcasting for everyone.
- Pick: Proton-Caller — Run any Windows program through Valve’s Proton.
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Hundreds of courses, thousands of hands-on labs.
Datadog - the unified monitoring and analytics platform for comprehensive visibility into cloud, hybrid, and multi-cloud environments.