468: The Read Only Scenario
24 July 2022
A fundamental change is coming to desktop Linux, and Silverblue might be our hint at where things are going.
- Pre-show: PSATA HATs support up to four drives on Raspberry Pi 4 or Rock Pi 4 — Radxa’s Dual ($25) and Quad ($35) SATA HATs work on the Raspberry Pi 4 or Rock Pi 4 at up to 400 MB/s via USB 3.0.
- JPL Lottery — Join the JB Crew at JPL! We only have 15 spots. Please enter your info, and our happy little python script might just pick your name from the virtual hat. - If you don’t get picked, don’t worry. We’re having another meetup while we are in town!
- Fedora Silverblue User Guide — Unlike other operating systems, Silverblue is immutable. This means that every installation is identical to every other installation of the same version. The operating system that is on disk is exactly the same from one machine to the next, and it never changes as it is used.
- Fedora 34 Silverblue on Raspberry Pi 4 / 400de
- RPi4: Raspberry Pi 4 UEFI Firmware Images — This repository contains installable builds of the official EDK2 Raspberry Pi 4 UEFI firmware.
- Self-Hosted 67: The No Container Theory
- Endless OS
- Fitting Everything Together — TLDR: Hermetic /usr/ is awesome; let’s popularize image-based OSes with modernized security properties built around immutability, SecureBoot, TPM2, adaptability, auto-updating, factory reset, uniformity – built from traditional distribution packages, but deployed via images.
- Steam Deck Guide — A guide covering Steam Deck including the applications and tools that will make you a better and more efficient with your Steam Deck device.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps
- BoostCLI — Command line tool to send and review Podcasting 2.0 Value.
- Podcasting 2.0 Podcast — The Podcast Index presents Podcasting 2.0 - Upgrading Podcasting.
- Podcasting 2.0: “Bells Out” — Adam & Dave discuss the week’s developments on podcastindex.org with Chris Fisher from Jupiter Broadcasting.
- Impervious API — Impervious API is a programmatic layer that sits on top of the Bitcoin Lightning Network
- Pick: Audio Sharing — Running Audio Sharing will automatically share the current audio playback in the form of an RTSP stream. This stream can then be played back by other devices, for example using VLC.
- Audio Sharing on Flathub
- Bottles on Flathub — Run Windows software on Linux with Bottles! Our built-in dependency installation system grants automatic software compatibility access. Use the download manager to download the official components: the runner (Wine, Proton), DXVK, dependencies, etc.
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
Linode Cloud Hosting
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.