501: The AWS of AI
18 January 2023
Microsoft gives Google an OpenAI gut punch, why Apple's new hardware fails to impress, and our reaction to the undignified death of Twitter's third-party client API.
- Gamer Radio Episode 3: SEGA!
- Meet the new MacBook Pro and Mac mini - YouTube — Introducing the new MacBook Pro and Mac mini supercharged by the next generation of Apple silicon. Mac mini with M2 and M2 Pro is ready to flex in any setup, with its next-level performance, wide array of ports, and compact size. The new MacBook Pro with M2 Pro and M2 Max delivers exceptional performance and battery life. With a stunning Liquid Retina XDR display and all the ports you need — this is a pro laptop without equal.
- Apple Announces New Mac Mini With M2 and M2 Pro Chips at Lower $599 Starting Price — Apple today announced an updated Mac mini powered by the new M2 and the all-new M2 Pro chip, offering faster performance in the same design as the previous generation but starting at a lower price of $599.
- Apple Announces New MacBook Pros With M2 Pro and M2 Max Chips, Up to 96GB RAM, 8K HDMI, Wi-Fi 6E, and More
- Apple Unveils M2 Pro and M2 Max Chips With 20% Faster CPU and More
- Apple’s Tim Cook to take 50% pay hit after shareholder feedback — The Apple chief executive, Tim Cook, is expected to have his pay cut by almost 50% this year to about $49m (£40m) after the billionaire boss asked the company to “adjust his compensation” in the light of feedback from shareholders disappointed at the fall in the company’s share price.
- Twitter third-party app ‘suspensions are intentional’ — Since then, Twitter, including the usually vocal Elon Musk, has not announced the removal of third-party apps. The company has no PR team, while developers of those clients have been similarly kept in the dark, and have resorted to their own messages explaining the situation.
- With $1.5 billion bill due at month-end, Elon Musk’s options aren’t great
- Microsoft’s $10B Bet on OpenAI — Microsoft will get 75% of OpenAI’s profits until they recoup the investment. After that threshold is reached, Microsoft will have a 49% stake, other investors taking another 49% and OpenAI’s nonprofit parent getting 2%.
- Microsoft Bets Big on the Creator of ChatGPT in Race to Dominate A.I.
- Microsoft Azure to Add OpenAI’s ChatGPT to Cloud Services
- AI art tools Stable Diffusion and Midjourney targeted with copyright lawsuit — The suit claims generative AI art tools violate copyright law by scraping artists’ work from the web without their consent.
- Alby — Lightning for your Browser! — Alby brings Boosts to the web. Grab this, toss a few sats in there or top it off directly. Then head over to the Podcast Index and Boost the show.
- Coder Radio on Podcastindex.org — Send a Boost into the Show from your browser.
- Upgrade to a Podcasting 2.0 Compaitable App — Try out a Podcasting 2.0 app, get great new features, and send a Boost into the show 🎉