210: Linux Action News
10 October 2021
Apple M1 Linux development reaches a key milestone and boots a usable desktop; Ubuntu reveals a new product, and the secret SUSE project that leaked this week.
- Asahi Linux On The Apple M1: “Usable As A Basic Linux Desktop” — With the progress made over the past month, “Asahi Linux is usable as a basic Linux desktop (without GPU acceleration)!”
- Progress Report: September 2021 - Asahi Linux
- Asahi Linux emits usable basic desktop on Apple’s M1
- Linux 5.16 KVM To Land RISC-V Hypervisor Support — Given that it’s taken a while to freeze, there isn’t yet any performant RISC-V processors out there actually implementing the complete extension and so for now and during development, it’s been a function of running it on simulators.
- Canonical launches Ubuntu Frame, the foundation for embedded displays — Canonical announces the release of Ubuntu Frame, a solution that allows developers to easily build and deploy graphical applications for interactive kiosks, digital signage solutions, or any other products that require a graphical output.
- Ubuntu Frame is a secure display server for embedded systems
- Building graphical applications in embedded devices
- Software Engineer - Toolbox (containers / desktop / golang) — The Red Hat Desktop team is looking for a Software Engineer to join us. In this role, you will develop and maintain containerization technologies for software development like toolbox.
- SUSE Working on a CentOS Clone? — I like looking in dnf countme data to see the various distros requesting EPEL repos. There are often many weird distro names showing up in the single digits. But this one jumped out at me with 38 hits last week
- DNF Better Counting
- Index of /csv-reports/countme
- Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) — High-quality packages that have been developed, tested, and improved in Fedora available for RHEL and compatible derivatives such as CentOS and Scientific Linux.
- SUSE Has been Rebuilding RHEL Packages for Years
- Will Furnass on Twitter — “Interesting that CERN are proposing to adopt @CentOS Steam 8 for new systems"
- PowerPoint Presentation