379: Favorite Linux Tweaks
10 November 2020
We round up our favorite tweaks to the desktop, and apps that make it great.
- Arch Conf 2020 Videos
- media.ccc.de - Arch Linux: Past, Present and Future
- Project X - Pure Open-Source Coreboot Support On AMD Zen - Phoronix — Project X is about “eXcising binary blobs from the x86 part of Zen CPUs.”
- OSFC 2020 - Open Source Firmware Conference
- Linux Mint pre-loads Chromium and Brings New IPTV Player — The package is available Linux Mint repository as “chromium” which you can install using standard “apt-get” or via the package manager. This is pure native Chromium and not a snap version.
- Monthly News – October 2020 – The Linux Mint Blog
- LINUX Unplugged 360: The Hard Work of Hardware
- Starlink Beta Has Outperformed Most Internet in the US
- SpaceX Starlink users provide first impressions and unboxing pictures | Ars Technica — New speed-test data collected by Ookla and published by PCMag last week found average Starlink download speeds of 79.5Mbps and average upload speeds of 13.8Mbps in October
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- profile-sync-daemon — Symlinks and syncs browser profile dirs to RAM thus reducing HDD/SDD calls and speeding-up browsers.
- GPU-Viewer — A front-end to glxinfo, vulkaninfo, clinfo and es2_info.
- Ivan Molodetskikh: Video Trimmer — Video Trimmer cuts out a fragment of a video given the start and end timestamps. The video is never re-encoded, so the process is very fast and does not reduce the video quality.
- junegunn/fzf — A command-line fuzzy finder
- Fish shell — fish is a smart and user-friendly command line shell for Linux, macOS, and the rest of the family.
- cxreg/smartcd — Alter your bash (or zsh) environment as you cd.
- wting/autojump — A cd command that learns - easily navigate directories from the command line.
- gsamokovarov/jump — Jump helps you navigate faster by learning your habits.
- muammar/mkchromecast — Cast macOS and Linux Audio/Video to your Google Cast and Sonos Devices
- xat/castnow — commandline chromecast player
- xat/dlnacast — Cast local media to your TV through UPnP/DLNA
- skorokithakis/catt — Cast All The Things allows you to send videos from many, many online sources to your Chromecast.
- tridactyl — A Vim-like interface for Firefox, inspired by Vimperator/Pentadactyl
- philc/vimium — The hacker’s browser.
- Use your ~/.local folder!
- Liquorix kernel for Debian users — Liquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads.
- PipeWire nightly for Fedora users — PipeWire nightly builds from the projects git master. Use at your own risk.
- Firefox Adwaita Theme — This is a bunch of CSS code to make Firefox look closer to GNOME’s native apps.
- Feedback: Thoughts after youtube-dl
- Feedback: FreeIPA
- Feedback: Zentyal as an AD Server