455: I run NixOS BTW
24 April 2022
We've hit a bump in the road with the NixOS challenge, and share what it might not be great at. Plus, what we didn't cover in our Ubuntu 22.04 review.
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Dark Style Changes — Now in GNOME 42, it is officially supported, expanding on a concept from elementary OS 6 7. A toggle switch in the new Appearance panel in the core Settings app enables and disables the feature. A lot of work was done in GNOME apps to fix visual dark style bugs. A new transition effect was added (also inspired by elementary) to more elegantly crossfade when the style is switched.
- Dark Style Preference · Wiki · GNOME / Initiatives · GitLab
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Eyes More Industrial Usage By Offering Up Real-Time Kernel Beta — Currently in beta with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is the linux-realtime kernel
- unsnap: Quickly migrate from using snap packages to flatpaks
- deb-get — apt-get functionality for .debs published in 3rd party repositories or via direct download
- Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS Release Notes — Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS is the culmination of 2 years of continual improvement 😅 to Ubuntu and MATE Desktop. As is tradition, the LTS development cycle has a keen focus on eliminating paper 🧻 cuts 🔪
- Linux Downtime – Episode 45 — Joe and Adam are joined by Martin Wimpress to talk about what goes into running a distro like Ubuntu Mate.
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Disables 3D Acceleration For Guest VMs With GNOME Boxes / Virt-Manager — In addition to Ubuntu 22.04 switching back NVIDIA to using X11 by default rather than Wayland as a launch-day change, separately, there was another rather notable last minute change affecting 3D support for virtual machines…
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland - Phoronix
- docker snap unconditionally uses xtables — Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is defaulting to using the GNOME X.Org session rather than Wayland when running the proprietary NVIDIA driver.
- GNU’s advanced distro and transactional package manager
- 10 years of stories behind Guix
- clj-nix: Nix helpers for Clojure projects
- poetry2nix: Convert poetry projects to nix automagically
- home-manager: Manage a user environment using Nix
- Home Manager - NixOS Wiki
- Tutorial: Getting started with Home Manager for Nix
- hercules-ci/arion: Run docker-compose with help from Nix/NixOS
- NixOS Wiki - Raspberry Pi 4
- NixOS aarm64 SD image
- NixOS Challenge - Jupiter Broadcasting GitHub
- Should we use NixOS as our Cloud and Local Server OS? | StrawPoll.com
- nixpkgs/make-snap.nix at master
- Picture of Welder
- GitHub - quickemu-project/quickemu: Quickly create and run optimised Windows, macOS and Linux desktop virtual machines.
- Miniflux - Minimalist and Opinionated Feed Reader
- Breez wallet - Lightning Fast Bitcoin Payments
- breez/breezmobile: Lightning Network mobile client
- 037d284d2d7e6cec7623 - Amboss Space
- pimox7: Proxmox V7 for Raspberry Pi — Pimox is a port of Proxmox to the Raspberry Pi allowing you to build a Proxmox cluster of Rapberry Pi’s or even a hybrid cluster of Pis and x86 hardware.
- Wimpy’s World