459: Better than Butter
22 May 2022
We take a sneak peek at some future tech coming to Linux, and share details on HP's new laptop that runs POP!
- London Meetup — Alex from Self-Hosted will be in the UK in August and is proposing a meetup in London on August 6th at 2pm GMT (meetup.com is based off JBs Pacific Time).
- HP Dev One — Get ready for a laptop that’s customized for the way you code. Featuring preinstalled Pop!_OS Linux and a tuned Linux keyboard with a Super key, HP Dev One was designed with developers in mind.
- HP Preparing An AMD-Powered Linux Laptop Powered By Pop!_OS
- HP teamed up with System76 for the HP Dev One laptop with Pop!_OS Linux
- Bringing bcachefs to the mainline — Bcachefs is a longstanding out-of-tree filesystem that grew out of the bcache caching layer that has been in the kernel for nearly ten years. Based on a session led by Kent Overstreet at the 2022 Linux Storage, Filesystem, Memory-management and BPF Summit (LSFMM), though, it would seem that bcachefs is likely to be heading upstream soon. He intends to start the process toward mainline inclusion over the next six months or so.
- Bcachefs Principles of Operation
- Tow-Boot — Tow-Boot a user-friendly, opinionated distribution of U-Boot, where there is as few differences in features possible between boards, and a “familiar” user interface for an early boot process tool.
- OpenSats — Support contributors to Bitcoin and other free and open source projects.
- Pick: Briar — Secure messaging, anywhere.