463: Humble Beginnings
19 June 2022
One of the pioneers of the web, VNC, Webcams, and more joins us; plus we'll update you on a few projects we love.
- Brunch with Brent: Quentin Stafford-Fraser - Jupiter Extras — Brent sits down with Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser, computer scientist, serial-entrepreneur, inventor (perhaps) of the webcam, Augmented Reality Ph.D. who ran the very first web server at the University of Cambridge, among much more. We explore topics including computer science as an art-form, the origins of the Raspberry Pi and T9 predictive text, philosophies around innovation and invention, challenging the patent system, and more.
- JB London Meetup
- DNS Toys — A DNS server that takes creative liberties with the DNS protocol to offer handy utilities and services that are easily accessible via the command line.
- Mars helicopter needs patch to work around failed sensor — The patch inserts a small code snippet into the software running on Ingenuity’s flight computer, intercepting incoming garbage packets from the inclinometer and injecting replacement packets constructed from IMU data.
- Software upgrades help Mars helicopter keep flying
- Umbrel 0.5 — Umbrel 0.5 brings the very first redesign of Umbrel’s UI since we launched. We went back to the drawing board to design a completely new homepage, a refreshed UI with beautifully crafted glass-like elements, a new dock-based layout, and the option to pick and choose from one of the 16 gorgeous, hand-curated wallpapers. And, of course, there’s a dark mode.
- Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser’s Website — I’m a computer scientist, entrepreneur, part-time academic and full-time gadget enthusiast based in Cambridge, England.
- Quentin Stafford-Fraser’s Blog
- Jellyfin 10.8.0 has been released!
- Jellyfin Release v10.8.0 — After a rather long development cycle the Jellyfin team is proud to announce stable version 10.8! This release post will mostly cover the highlights with little prose, as there is so much to cover!
- nix-bitcoin — A collection of Nix packages and NixOS modules for easily installing full-featured Bitcoin nodes with an emphasis on security.