472: 5 Problems With NixOS
21 August 2022
The five most common problems when trying out an immutable Linux distro like NixOS. Plus, why one Linux dev says just target WINE.
- New Flathub Site in Beta - Big Things Coming — […] next steps are to flesh out the donation infrastructure with the aim to allow app pages to have their own link to donation/purchase.
- Win32 Is The Only Stable ABI on Linux — I think this whole situation shows why creating native games for Linux is challenging. It’s hard to blame developers for targeting Windows and relying on Wine + friends. It’s just much more stable and much less likely to break and stay broken.
- The Offending glibc Commit
- A glibc Bug
- The ABI status of ELF hash tables — If EAC were free software, of course, chances are there would already be a patch circulating to deal with the problem. As it is, only its owner can deal with this problem directly. Meanwhile, though, there is another workaround available: distributors can easily patch the glibc build to restore the DT_HASH section and make the problem go away for now.
- Jupiter JPL Meetup Form
- JB Meetups
- West Coast Crew Matrix Room
- Endless OS — The Endless Operating System is simple and easy for anyone to use. It is fully equipped with essential apps to learn, play, work and connect.
- Different methods to run a non-NixOS executable on NixOS — What are the different methods to run a non-NixOS executable on NixOS? I’d like to see also the manual methods.
- nix-ld: Run unpatched dynamic binaries on NixOS
- vscode with extensions nix package
- vscode FHS compatible
- toolbox-vscode — Toolbox Visual Studio Code integration
- Self-Hosted 67: The No Container Theory — Why Chris is moving away from using Containers, Alex’s new project, and some great follow-up.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps — Grab a Podcasting 2.0 compatible app, and boost into the show.
- Heroic Games Launcher — Heroic is an Open Source GOG and Epic games launcher for Linux, Windows and macOS. Also available on the Steam Deck!
- Heroic Games Launcher | Flathub
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.