509: The Next Gen Desktop
7 May 2023
The first new desktop environment in a while that has caught our attention, and it promises to unlock the full power of cutting-edge Linux.
- Hyprland Hall of Fame
- Hyprland Master Tutorial — If you are coming to Hyprland for the first time, this is the main tutorial to read.
- Hyprland - ArchWiki — Hyprland bundles its own version of wlroots, which closely follows the wlroots-git. This improves stability, while also avoiding dependency conflicts with other wlroots-based compositors.
- Nix | Hyprland Wiki — Hyprland on Nix can be installed either from Nixpkgs (release version) or from the flake (directly from the main branch).
- Hyprland on NixOS — The NixOS module enables critical components needed to run Hyprland properly, such as: polkit, xdg-desktop-portal-hyprland, graphics drivers, fonts, dconf, xwayland, and adding a proper Desktop Entry to your Display Manager.
- awesome-hyprland — Useful tools and libraries that either work or are designed for Hyprland!
- Outdoor Home Assistant — Why Chris needs ANOTHER Home Assistant instance and a major breakthrough for self-hosters.
- The Sprinkler Geeks, LLC — Irrigation service, repair, and maintenance. Servicing Thurston, Lewis, & Gray’s Harbor Counties.
- Brocade ICX 6610-24P Switch
- Boost Vs Patreon — I have one friend who loves podcasts, but he still doesn’t get how it offers anything new compared to Patreon. Could you guys please give a short rundown of how boosts are different and how they have helped LUP?
- Evernote on Linux — Evernote for Linux is currently in private beta.
- xwmx/nb — nb is a command line and local web note‑taking, bookmarking, archiving, and knowledge base application
- Ecowitt weather station
- Tidal-Media-Downloader — Tidal-Media-Downloader is an application that lets you download videos and tracks from Tidal.
- When Stars and Salt Collide” by The Piano Guys.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps
- LINUX Unplugged on the Podcastindex.org
- Vod2pod-rss — Vod2Pod-RSS converts a YouTube or Twitch channel into a podcast with ease. It creates a podcast RSS that can be listened to directly inside any podcast client.
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
Linode Cloud Hosting
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.