541: Better Late than Never
25 October 2023
Rumors of internal panic at Apple, and concerns about the future of RISC-V. Plus, the software update of the century.
- ⚡ Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Create an Alby Account to get a lightning wallet for payments wherever you go.
- 🎉 Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Boost from the Web. Once you have Alby topped off, you can Boost from our page on the Podcast Index.
- The Risk of RISC-V: What’s Going on at SiFive? — I have received reports, now from multiple sources, that the major torch bearer of the RISC-V platform, a company known as SiFive and formed from the original architects of the RISC-V instruction set, has gone through some major changes.
- Apple Announces October Event for Macs: ‘Scary Fast’ — Apple today announced its second fall event of 2023, with the online event set to be held on Monday, October 30 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.
- Apple to invest more than $1 billion annually in lucrative new area — A July report, however, found that, behind closed doors, Apple was working frantically to develop its own ChatGPT competitor dubbed Ajax.
- Apple Preps Ajax Generative AI, ‘Apple GPT’ to Rival OpenAI and Google
- What Is Apple Doing in AI? Revamping Siri, Search, Apple Music and other Apps
- Daring Fireball: Apple and AI — But I think Gurman’s summary does get at an essential truth. If I asked you “Which companies are at the forefront of AI-powered products?”, I doubt you’d put Apple on the list. And AI is proving so useful — and yet is a nascent field — that Apple needs to soon be on that list, lest their products begin to fall behind competitively. “Which companies are best at integrating AI into products?” is going to be like “Which companies are best at creating hardware at scale?” and “Which companies are best at human interface design?”
- Apple Cancelled Jon Stewart Because Feckless Tech Executives Were Afraid Of The Pesky Truth — Last week, the New York Times reported that Apple had cancelled “The Problem With Jon Stewart.”
- How Can We Fix Inflation? With Economist Steve Hanke | The Problem With Jon Stewart Podcast - YouTube
- Exclusive: Nvidia to make Arm-based PC chips in major new challenge to Intel — Nvidia has quietly begun designing central processing units (CPUs) that would run Microsoft’s (MSFT.O) Windows operating system and use technology from Arm Holdings(O9Ty.F), , two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.
- NASA just sent a software update to a spacecraft 12 billion miles away — The update, which took almost 18 hours to complete, was transmitted to help Voyager 2 avoid the same problem that its sibling, Voyager 1, experienced last year.
- The Loyal Engineers Steering NASA’s Voyager Probes Across the Universe