416: Server Meltdown
27 July 2021
We try to pull off a show while recovering from an epic server crash. Then we build the ultimate remote Linux desktop—in the cloud!
- Live Starlink Satellite Map
- Salt Lake City Meetup
- Denver Meetup Meetup
- Framework Laptop review: pick your ports — In other words, upgradability is the reason to buy the Framework laptop.
- Latest Framework Laptop DIY Edition/Linux topics — Setup guides, advice, troubleshooting, and more, for those of us who use Linux-based Operating Systems on our Framework Laptops.
- Which Linux distribution do you want to use on your Framework Laptop?
- [Video] A COMPLETELY Upgradeable Laptop?
- Framework: The Touchpad and Fingerprint Reader — If you’re a Linux user, we’ve got you covered too! Our firmware lead Kieran submitted a patch to libfprint, and support is making its way into various distributions to be able to work automatically.
- FreeBSD Working On A New Installer, Updates To Their Linux Compatibility Layer — A variety of improvements to FreeBSD’s Linux compatibility layer for running Linux binaries on FreeBSD.
- Gaming sessions on Steam Deck are run via gamescope, a Wayland compositor — This also suggests that SteamOS 3.0 requires Vulkan, and specifically support for async compute.
- Element raises $30M to boost Matrix — Element, the startup founded by the team who created Matrix, just raised $30M of Series B funding in order to further accelerate Matrix development and improve Element, the flagship Matrix app.
- Webtop — Alpine and Ubuntu based containers containing full desktop environments in officially supported flavors accessible via any modern web browser.
- LinuxServer.io: Meet Webtops A Linux Desktop Environment In Your Browser — A lot of different Docker GUI solutions exist today, but what we always found is they were just missing some common sense stuff.
- Webtop - Running Linux Desktop inside a Container in the Browser
- JingOS — Future Mobile OS based on Linux
- Chris Fisher on Twitter — I joined the @latenightlinux boys to cover my @syncthing setup that just hit the two-year mark, and we chat a little @teamsilverblue, the problem of OSS grifting, and more.
- JB Telegram
- PIck: docker-wine — Docker image that includes Wine and Winetricks for running Windows applications on Linux and macOS
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
15% off your first project a mobile app, a web app, a Linux app, anything!
By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.