107: Laptop Dumpster Diving
6 October 2023
With a dose of pragmatism and optimism, we chat about making the best out of old hardware and where we draw the line and buy new.
- ⚡ Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Create an Alby Account to get a lightning wallet for payments wherever you go.
- ⚡ Self-Hosted on the Podcastindex.org — Send a Boost into the show via the web. First, top-up Alby, then head over to our entry on the Podcast Index.
- TubesZB — TubesZB Coordinators and Router
- HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC — HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC is HP’s smallest business desktop yet. Efficiently crafted to save space and energy.
- HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC for sale | eBay
- Intel Quick Sync Video
- Introducing: Raspberry Pi 5! — Priced at $60 for the 4GB variant, and $80 for its 8GB sibling
- WireGuard Component — ESPHome — This component uses a custom implementation not developed by original authors and currently available for ESP32 platform only.
- Spook 👻 a scary powerful toolbox for Home Assistant. — Spook ships with a lot of goodness for you to explore. Currently, there are three main areas of functionality that Spook sprinkles on top of Home Assistant.
- SSH 023: Shields Up - — We’ve spent thousands of dollars and over a decade refining the perfect home media setup. We get nostalgic and share what worked and what REALLY didn’t.
- Incorrect and missing videos - Official Kodi Wiki — Errors arise from either mistakes by the user, inherent limitations of the scraper, and/or errors at the site of the information provider.
- Naming video files/Episodes - Official Kodi Wiki — Be aware of the following
- MediaElch: Media Manager for Kodi — MediaElch is a MediaManager for Kodi. Information about Movies, TV Shows, Concerts and Music are stored as NFO files. Fanarts are downloaded automatically from fanart.tv.
- tinyMediaManager — tinyMediaManager is a media management tool written in Java/Swing. It is written to provide metadata for the Kodi Media Center (formerly known as XBMC), MediaPortal and Plex media server. Due to the fact that it is written in Java, tinyMediaManager will run on Windows, Linux and macOS (and possible more OS).
- FileBot - The ultimate TV and Movie Renamer — FileBot is the ultimate tool for renaming and organizing your movies, TV shows and Anime. Match and rename media files against online databases, download artwork and cover images, fetch subtitles, write metadata, and more, all at once in matter of seconds. It’s smart and just works.
- ESPHome — ESPHome is a system to control your microcontrollers by simple yet powerful configuration files and control them remotely through Home Automation systems.
- Tasmota — Tasmota is an open source firmware for Espressif ESP8266, ESP32, ESP32-S or ESP32-C3 chipset based devices created and maintained by Theo Arends.
- A Call for Developers | Jellyfin — We’d like to call on you, the wider community, to help make Jellyfin better! We need contributors, fresh ideas and blood to help the project move past our current funk and into something more.
- SSH 107 Boost Barn — Thank you for helping produce episode 107 of Self-Hosted!
- LinuxFest Northwest | Meetup — Friday Oct 20th - Oct 21st 2023
Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 3 users and 100 devices for free.
The HL15 from 45HomeLab is an open-source, open-platform, 15-bay homelab server.
Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.