393: Perfecting Our Plasma
16 February 2021
Something special has been achieved this week, a new benchmark in the desktop experience. We dig in.
- AmpliPi - Home Audio System — Kickstarter — One thing that sets apart the AmpliPi design is that we have made it open source, from the software, to the firmware, to the schematics. The REST API and Web App are written in Python and run on a Raspberry Pi 3+ Compute Module.
- The Coder — The Coder is made from 100% cotton terry velour for soft, cozy wear. Embroidered on the left chest with a classic white on black Coder Radio logo.
- Windows Refund Day — For those who hadn’t heard the story, February 15th 1999 was windows refund day. It was a worldwide day when open source OS users went to microsoft’s offices to return their unused licenses of windows that they were forced to acquire since they were bundled with the machine they bought.
- VLC 4.0 is coming later this year with a new UI, focus on online video and security — The new version will also focus more on playing videos from the Internet, relying on extensions to find third-party content. The team is also working on a version of VLC that will work inside the browser (based on WebAssembly).
- The Movie Database (TMDb)
- Facebook’s Linux Desktop Choice Is Fedora But Ramping Up CentOS Stream — Among the reasons Facebook is now pursuing CentOS Stream on the desktop is to serve as a stable rolling-release, binary compatibility, punctual security updates, and its close relationship with Fedora.
- Changes to LastPass Free - The LastPass Blog — Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type, Desktop or Mobile.
- KeePass Password Safe
- Bitwarden Open Source Password Manager | Bitwarden
- 1Password Linux
- Manjaro Linux on Twitter — We updated #PlasmaMobile to the latest #Plasma 5.21 stable release. This comes with the latest 5.10 LTS kernel and updated development packages. Checkout the latest software by @kdecommunity powered by @ManjaroLinuxARM for your #Pinephone!
- Manjaro on Shells.com
- JupiterBroadcasting Telegram Group
- The Opinion Dominion Episode 28 — A wild Chris Fisher appears… for an interview.
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- Plasma 5.2 — Apart from the numerous improvements in stability, there are quite a few Plasma components that are getting much better support in Wayland. KRunner, for example, is now able to list all open windows in Wayland, a new component in the panel’s system tray informs you of the keyboard layout, and we now support features required for GTK 4, so all GTK 4 applications will now work.
- M.2 Enclosure for SATA NGFF SSD
- Feedback: Arch Upgrade Tips
- Feedback: Arch on the laptop of Chris’ son
- SonoBus — SonoBus is an easy to use, open-source, application for streaming high-quality, low-latency peer-to-peer audio between devices over the internet or a local network.
A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
Datadog - the unified monitoring and analytics platform for comprehensive visibility into cloud, hybrid, and multi-cloud environments.
By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.